Thursday, November 21, 2013

Say No to Drug



It’s so embarrassing, but I have always been such a goody two-shoes. I repeatedly received Citizen of the Month awards throughout elementary school, I only ditched class once in high school, and only missed on class in college because I was sick. I’ve never shoplifted. I’ve never had a meltdown that resulted in a shaved head.  I’ve never even twerked (but that’s really because my tush can’t move like that). I also never got into drugs— and for that, I have to credit Francine Pascal, the author of the Sweet Valley High books.

It was book #40. Regina Morrow was devastated by a break-up and started to hang around with the wrong crowd. She went to a party and did coke for the first time. And guess what happened? She died of an overdose. That’s right … she DIED!

I DON’T WANT TO DIE! 

So, you know, I say no to drugs.

And that’s why I don’t feel like a hypocrite when I tell all of you to say not to “drug.” It is not the past tense of “drag.” “Dragged” is the past tense of “drag.” 

 Stay away from "drug"!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I skipped class once as well! Nobody noticed.

Andrew Leon said...

I even went to school on senior skip day.
Yeah, I know.

DiscConnected said...

No worries-

I skipped enough high school class for all of you!

Rarely in college, though-I was paying for it, so I wanted my money's worth!

I did miss a class when the Phillies won the World Series-had to go to the parade! But it was an elective journalism class...and by then I was pretty sure I was going to switch to a business major (from English) anyway...

the late phoenix said...

Highlights Magazine taught me about life. i never bought into Gallant's pleases and thank yous, thought it was too goody two-shoes. Goofus kept it real, he was badass. Goofus introduced me to the life...

Shelly said...

Oh, those Sweet Valley High and Sweet Valley Twins books...

I am glad they kept you off drugs!

Anonymous said...

You sound like me! I never did anything even remotely "bad" and yet everyone labels me as that type. Odd how things happen. I will not "drug" I promise!

Traci Marie Wolf said...

I loved Sweet Valley High books! I also loved Flowers in the Attic (If you're a fan of FITA there's a more explicit remake coming out in January.) I don't remember too many of the lessons in the books but I do know that listening to gangsta rap as a teenager discouraged me from becoming a hoe.

DWei said...

So, instead of drug, use drugged. I drugged the body across the field.

Wait, that sentence still makes sense. So much for being a smart ass.

Theresa Milstein said...

How think it confuses people because of hang and hung.

You stayed with these books through #40? I think I stopped after 20-something. You're hard core!